The Military Balance is an authoritative assessment of the military capabilities and defence economics of 171 countries worldwide.
Included in the print edition is The Military Balance Wall Chart. The focus in 2016 is ‘Gulf Region Missile Defence’, showing defensive and offensive missile systems, combat air assets and illustrative radar-detection fans and missile-range indicators.
Displayed states include Bahrain, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. The United States’ principal regional missile-defence and air assets are also shown.
The map is accompanied by text detailing key aspects of the region’s missile-defence coverage.
Map features include:
- Selected short- and medium-range silo-based and mobile missile systems
- Missile-defence systems, including Patriot PAC-2/-3 and Terminal High-Altitude Air Defense (THAAD), together with notional engagement zones
- Radar systems, such as Ghadir/Sepehr and TPY-2, and selected notional detection ranges
- US regional ballistic-missile-defence assets
- Selected Iranian, Gulf Cooperation Council and US air bases and aircraft such as the MiG-29 Fulcrum and F-16 Fighting Falcon
- Infographic showing selected ballistic and cruise missiles, and interceptors, by size and operating nation, including Shahab-3, Storm Shadow and SM-3-IB/IIA, among others
Text boxes include:
- Iran’s ballistic and cruise missiles
- Iranian airpower and air defences
- US Navy ballistic-missile defence vessels
- Interceptors: PAC-2/-3 and THAAD
- Selected GCC air power
- Options for active defence
Bespoke sizes can be accommodated on request.