Director of Geo-economics and Strategy
- Economics, trade and economic development
- Emerging markets, the Middle East and North Africa, resource rich economies
- Macroeconomic policy and analysis, political economy of oil-exporting countries
Languages: English, Arabic, French, Spanish, Farsi
Summary: Alia Moubayed is Director of the Geo-economics and Strategy Programme at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, based in London. She specialises in macroeconomic and trade policy, the economics of the Middle East and the political economy of resource-rich countries, as well as trade negotiations. She contributes to IISS research, represents the Institute at conferences internationally and in the media, and delivers briefings to government and corporate audiences. Her commentary has featured in the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, Foreign Policy, CNN, Bloomberg, CNBC, Sky News, the BBC, Al Arabiya, CNBC Arabia, Sky News Arabia, Asharq Al-Awsat, and other outlets.
- 2008–2017: Head of Research, Middle East and North Africa, Barclays Bank (London, UK)
- 2002–2008: Senior Economist, The World Bank (Washington DC, US)
- 2001-2002: Managing Director, the Economic and Social Fund for Development (Beirut, Lebanon)
- 1999-2001: Advisor to the Minister, Ministry of Economy and Trade (Beirut, Lebanon)
- 1995-1999: Economist, Central Bank of Lebanon (Beirut, Lebanon)
About the Geo-economics and Strategy Programme: The Geo-economics and Strategy (GES) programme is devoted to analysis of the interplay between economics and geopolitics at the global level. Its broad thematic and global scope allows for comprehensive examination of the structural economic changes that are shaping today’s international strategic relationships.