Senior Fellow for US Foreign Policy and Transatlantic Affairs; Editor of Survival
- US foreign policy and domestic politics
- European politics and foreign policies
Dana H. Allin has been Editor since 1998 of Survival: Global Politics and Strategy, with chief responsibility for the bi-monthly journal’s content and style. An accomplished scholar and writer on diverse themes, he is the author or co-author of five books, and was a principal drafter of a sixth, the 1997 report of The International Commission on the Balkans. As IISS Senior Fellow based in London, he comments and writes widely on the strategic challenges and historical, political and social roots of US foreign policy, with special attention in recent years to America’s Middle East dilemmas. His scholarship also has covered a considerable range of European topics, including the Balkans conflicts and the Cold War. His articles and book chapters have appeared in The Financial Times, International Herald Tribune, Wall Street Journal, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Survival, International Affairs, World Policy Journal, Strategic Survey, Strategic Comments, The Huffington Post, IISS Voices, and in numerous edited volumes.
Dr Allin is Professorial Lecturer at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), of the Johns Hopkins University in Washington D.C., and Adjunct Professor of European Studies at the SAIS Bologna Center. Previously he was Deputy Director of the Aspen Institute Berlin (1993–1997); Deputy Director of the International Commission on the Balkans (1995–1997); visiting Assistant Professor at SAIS Washington (1997) and SAIS Bologna (1990); a Robert Bosch Foundation Fellow in Bonn and Frankfurt (1990–91); a financial and economics journalist in London and Vienna (1987–88); and a newspaper journalist covering Maryland state government and courts (1981–1984). He has a BA in English from Yale University, and an MA and PhD in international relations from Johns Hopkins University–SAIS.
Contact Dana Allin
- Weary Policeman: American Power in an Age of Austerity (Routledge, 2012), with Erik Jones;
- The Sixth Crisis: Iran, Israel, America, and the Rumors of War (Oxford, 2010), with Steven Simon;
- Repairing the Damage: Possibilities and Limits of Transatlantic Consensus (Routledge, 2007), with Gilles Andreani, Philippe Errera, and Gary Samore;
- NATO’s Balkan Interventions (Oxford, 2002);
- Unfinished Peace: Report of the International Commission on the Balkans (Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 1996), with James Brown, Jacques Rupnik, Mark Thompson and members of the International Commission on the Balkans;
- Cold War Illusions: America, Europe and Soviet Power, 1969–1989 (St. Martin’s/MacMillan, 1994 and 1998).
12 December 2014
25 July 2014
11 December 2012
01 December 2012
05 November 2012