Assistant Editor, Adelphi Books
The International Institute for Strategic Studies is seeking an Assistant Editor for the Adelphi book series.
The job, at the London office, requires meticulous editing of copy, proven editorial experience, dealing with authors and management of book production stages. Knowledge of international affairs is useful.
Please apply by e-mail to email@example.com by 25th July 2014, attaching CV and covering letter outlining your experience and suitability. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview and an editing test.
Only candidates who already possess the right to work in the United Kingdom should apply. Salary commensurate with experience.
Managing Director, Corporate & External Relations
The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), the leading authority on global security, defence and geo-economics, is seeking to appoint a Managing Director for its Corporate & External Relations Department. The Managing Director, inter alia, will be responsible for:
- The direction and coordination of the Membership Department
- Corporate membership recruitment and retention
- Arranging for the sponsorship of flagship events
- Consultancy lead generation
- Promotion of IISS business products (databases) and
- Individual membership recruitment and retention.
The successful candidate will:
- Ideally have a degree in Public Relations, Communications or Marketing; and/or a commensurate degree of practical experience.
- Possess professional experience of think tanks, academia, government, business or consulting.
- Have first-rate written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess an energetic and entrepreneurial approach to work.
- Have a genuine interest in International relations and/or current affairs
The post is based at the IISS headquarters in central London, and only candidates who already possess the right to work in the United Kingdom should apply. Salary commensurate with experience.
Candidates should send a letter explaining the skills they would bring to the IISS, enclosing a CV and a list of referees by email, citing Managing Director - Corporate and External Relations Application in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for receipt of applications is 31st July 2014.
There are currently no vacancies.
IISS–Middle East office
Research Fellow in Middle East Politics
The International Institute for Strategic Studies–Middle East is looking to hire a full-time Research Fellow in Middle East Politics based in its office in Manama, Bahrain.
The selected candidate will work as part of the Bahrain team focusing on the politics, security and economics of the Arabian Peninsula. He/she will develop an original research program in coordination with the senior staff in the various IISS offices, contribute to the various IISS publications, collaborate with other IISS scholars and help organise and take an active part in the various IISS conferences and activities (most notably the Manama Dialogue).
The selected candidate will possess superior analytical, writing and communication skills. He/she will display intellectual and operational versatility and demonstrate an ability to operate as part of a team as well as independently. He/she will conduct outreach to the various IISS audiences (IISS members, governments, media, corporations, civil society).
- Postgraduate degree relating to Middle East studies with an emphasis on strategic and security affairs. Recent PhD or DPhil or Masters with 5 years of professional experience (in research, academia, government, journalism or similar)
- Regional focus on the Arabian Peninsula, Iran, Iraq and the Levant. Interest in Middle East relations with external powers, including Western and Eurasian actors, Asian nations and African countries
- Functional focus in at least two of the following subject matters: defence, strategic affairs and regional security; state-building, civil–military relations and security sector reform; demographics, human security, water, food and environmental security; conflict studies, political violence and terrorism; political economy and economic development; energy economics and geopolitics
- Excellent command of English as well as fluency in either Arabic or Farsi
- Proven experience conducting primary research, interacting with government and non-government actors and
- Significant experience living in the Middle East
Salary will reflect experience. The IISS provides a full employment package.
Applicants should send a CV plus a letter explaining the skills they would bring to the post, to IISSemail@example.com by 01 August 2014.
There are currently no vacancies.
Internships at IISS-US
The Institute is currently seeking graduate and undergraduate interns to support the work and management of its Washington DC office; details are listed on the IISS-US careers page.