Assistant Editor, Publications
The International Institute for Strategic Studies is seeking an Assistant Editor to work on our successful and highly regarded publications. The job, at the London office, requires substantial experience of meticulous editing of copy, proofing, dealing with authors and seeing manuscripts through to publication. Salary range: £27,000–32,000. Only candidates who already possess the right to work in the United Kingdom should apply.
Please apply by email to email@example.com by Friday 31st October 2014, attaching CV and covering letter outlining your experience and suitability. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview and an editing test.
Research Fellow for South Asia (Strategic Affairs)
An opportunity has arisen at The International Institute for Strategic Studies, in London, for a Research Fellow position to work within the South Asia department. The selected individual will work closely with the Senior Fellow for South Asia.
Duties may involve:
- Lecturing for and on behalf of IISS on Pakistani nuclear matters;
- Research and publication on Pakistan’s strategic affairs;
- Organisation & co-ordination of a 1.5-track workshop on nuclear matters in Islamabad;
- Relationship building between UK and Pakistani Military and government personnel.
This position should appeal to individuals who have:
- Published expertise or proven experience in or formerly with the Pakistan army or the government on Pakistan’s nuclear and strategic affairs. This would include issues of nuclear non-proliferation, arms control, defence & deterrence, and doctrinal and strategic issues.
- An undergraduate and preferably postgraduate degree relating to strategic studies, military affairs, international relations or a related field.
Period of contract: Full-time Fixed Term Contract for a four month period January to May 2015.
Location of role: London Office
It is preferred that candidates email their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively, candidates may write to:
The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS)
Arundel House, 13-15 Arundel Street, Temple Place
London WC2R 3DX
Posting Date: 13 October 2014 Closing date: 12 November 2014
Please note that only those candidates who are called for interview will receive a reply.
There are currently no vacancies.
IISS–Middle East Office
The International Institute for Strategic Studies is currently seeking an experienced Arabic editor to support its publications. The selected candidate will be based in Bahrain but will receive training in London. He/she would report to the Managing Director of the IISS-Middle East and to the Director of Editorial in London.
Kindly submit a complete application no later than 31 October 2014.
Successful candidates will be expected to meet the minimum requirements below:
- a native Arabic speaker with total fluency in English;
- a Bachelor's Degree in literature, translation, writing or media;
- 2-3 years of editorial experience, preferably with academic texts,
- knowledge of international affairs would give candidates a distinct advantage; and
- a keen eye for detail is essential, as well as the ability to edit and proofread with precision.
The position would involve the translation, proofreading, editing, and typesetting of selected visual, marketing and written material. The selected candidate will also be expected to oversee the translation and production in Arabic of selected IISS works and marketing materials, in addition to establishing and updating a series of Arabic pages on the IISS website.
Application (preferably through email):
- Cover letter (specify availability)
- Two letters of reference from current or former employers.
Applications will not be considered complete until all materials are received.
The International Institute for Strategic Studies – Middle East
GBCorp Tower, 14th Floor, Bahrain Financial Harbour
Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
Tel.: +973 1718 1155
There are currently no vacancies.
Internships at IISS-US
The Institute is currently seeking graduate and undergraduate interns to support the work and management of its Washington DC office; details are listed on the IISS-US careers page.