Research Analysts, Defence and Military Analysis Programme
The International Institute for Strategic Studies in London is looking to recruit two Research Analysts for the IISS Defence and Military Analysis Programme (DMAP). The programme analyses global defence and security affairs. DMAP’s major print and online output is the IISS flagship publication The Military Balance, widely regarded as the global benchmark in the assessment of national military capabilities and defence economics.
The core task of DMAP Research Analysts is to contribute to the collection, assessment, validation, and dissemination of defence and military data for IISS publications and databases. Areas of current or future specialisation for successful candidates may include organisation and equipment of armed forces around the world, domain specialism (land; air; naval; cyber), defence technology or defence economics.
- Completion of Masters degree relating to strategic studies or military affairs, OR a professional background in military or defence intelligence.
- Minimum 1 year work experience in a research setting.
- Experience of research using the full range of open source information.
- Proven writing and public presentation skills.
- Experience using or contributing to database products.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English. Additional languages desirable.
- Cover letter.
- Official transcript(s) for all post-secondary schools and universities attended (photocopies are acceptable).
- Contact information for two references (email and telephone, preferably from both academia and the workplace).
These positions are for an initial one year Fixed Term Contract and will be considered for renewal on permanent basis in the longer term. Salary in the range of £25,000 – £35,000, based on proven capabilities and experience.
It is preferred that candidates email their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4 July 2016.
Candidates must have eligibility to work in the UK. The IISS regrets that it cannot sponsor visas for these positions.
Please note that only those candidates who are called for interview will receive a reply.
IISS-Middle East Office
No vacancies at present.
Russia and Eurasia Programme Internship
The International Institute for Strategic Studies is currently seeking a volunteer intern to support the Institute’s Russia and Eurasia Programme, which is based at the IISS–Americas in Washington, DC. To be considered for the Fall 2016 session, kindly submit a complete application no later than 5 August 2016.
- Be a current graduate student with a major or significant coursework in Russia/Eurasia area studies;
- Be proficient in Russian (particularly reading);
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale), or the equivalent from a non-US institution;
- Be eligible to work in the US. IISS–Americas cannot assist in any way with procuring visas or entry permits.
The internship involves substantive research on the politics, foreign policies and political economy of Russia and the states of post-Soviet Eurasia, and US/EU policy toward them. Interns will be required to provide administrative and operational support, conduct research, and assist with event and media management for Russia and Eurasia Programme staff. Successful applicants can expect to gain direct exposure to the work and management of a leading international think tank.
Application (by email):
2) Cover letter (please specify dates available and preference for full- or part-time);
3) 3–5 page analytical writing sample demonstrating the applicant’s ability to conduct substantive, original research (may be a portion of a longer paper);
4) Two letters of reference from faculty members and/or current or former employers.
Applications will not be considered complete until all materials are received.
Managing Director, IISS–Americas
The International Institute for Strategic Studies
2121 K Street NW, Suite 801
Washington, DC 20037
No vacancies at present.